On the two sides of the transept there are two of the most singular works of Narni’s Cathedral: the Chapel of the Blessed Lucia, in baroque style; the Chapel of San Giuseppe, in more late style, almost rococo.

The Chapel of Blessed Lucia.

Before the intervention of the Cardinal Sacripante, the chapel was dedicated to Santa Caterina of Alessandria, that became at the end of the works in 1714, the splendid Chapel of the blessed Lucia: one of the most surprising elements of the Cathedral of Narni which guests, under the altar, the relics of the Blessed Lucia of Narni, noble Dominican tertiary Narnese (1476-1544).

Cappella della Beata Lucia con le tele del Trevisani nella Cattedrale di San Giovenale a Narni

From Sant’Antonio to the Blessed Lucia: the history of the chapel projected by Rainaldi Master.

The implementation of the chapel has a particular history linked with his customer and his role in the Roman Curia. 

At the end of 1711 is documented the purchase by the Cardinale Sacripante of the altar dedicated to Sant’Antonio Abate of the Church of SS.Apostoli to Rome. 

Artwork of the baroque architect Rainaldi -who is considered one of the fathers of the roman style with Bernini and Cortona-, the altar was transported by Urbe to the Tevere and, after came to the oil port of Otricoli, arrived in Narni to be use for the new chapel . 

Built in 1656 has an archetypal value of the facades of the churches projected  by Rainaldi like the splendid Santa Maria in Montesano and Santa Maria dei Miracoli, twin churches in Piazza del Popolo or Sant’Agnese in Piazza Navona.

The iconographic aspect.

There are four canvas by Francesco Trevisani, prominent painter of Roman art dominated by the Academy of San Luca: 

  • above the altar, the Blessed Lucia who receives the stigma;
  • surmounted by the mystical marriage of the Blessed with the Child Jesus stretched out on the arms of the Virgin; 
  • on the right wall, Saint Catherine of Alexandria, former owner of the chapel;

The frescos in the corner of the cupola, with the representations of the life and the miracles of the Blessed Lucia were realized by Luigi Garzi.

The Chapel of San Giuseppe.

The Chapel of San Giuseppe was completed in 1757 by Francesco Antonio Risi for his family and, particularly, for the burial of his brother Antonio, abate to Città di Castello. 

The chapel is an example of the late baroque style. All of the complex is in wood finely sculpted and decorated with sculptures representing the virtues. The altar canvas represents the transit of San Giuseppe; the right oval shows the birth of San Giovanni Battista and the left one the Holy Family. 

The author of those artworks is the painter Giuseppe Sortini (1760).

Cappella di San Giuseppe nella Cattedrale di San Giovenale a Narni

Cathedral of San Giovenale

Address

Piazza Cavour – 05035 Narni TR

Contacts
Opening hours

Opening hours: 

  • from 8am to 12.30pm
  • from 3.30pm to 7pm
Where to park

It is suggested to park the car in the Suffraggio’s parking lot and go up with the elevator until Via Garibaldi reaching Piazza Cavour.

Discover Narni.

Continue to walk with us discovering what to see inside the walls of Narni.

Or discover the points of interest of Narni and of its territory:

Esterno del Palazzo Scotti di Narni, visto da Via Mazzini
City of Narni

Scotti Palace

Scotti Palace, is one of the most impressive civil architectures in Narni, rises on the west side of Via Mazzini, close to Santa Maria Impensole.

Learn more
Fontana di Piazza Garibaldi di Narni, sullo sfondo la torre civica con l'orologio e l'entrata laterale della Cattedrale di San Giovenale
City of Narni

Piazza Garibaldi

Piazza Garibaldi (Garibaldi Square) was once called Lake Square or Lacus square because of a large cistern used during the Middle Ages to provide water

Learn more
Veduta della Rocca Albornoz di Narni
City of Narni

Albornoz Fortress

The Albornoz Fortress, surrounded by a green nature, rises as a giant on the Maggiore mountain to dominate the Town of Narni , the via

Learn more

Comune di Narni

Piazza dei Priori, 1 – 05035 Narni (TR)

Tel. 0744.7471 Fax 0744.715270

P.IVA 00178930558 IBAN IT40G0631572711000080000325

Posta certificata: comune.narni@postacert.umbria.it